Apr 16, 2011

"It is believed the bean jam in his head gives him sustenance."

I don't have it in me to say anything about the Neil deGrasse Tyson stuffs I've been watching on YT, in part because I can't grip the content too well

BUT HE SURE IS A CUTE ASTROPHYSICIST OR WHATEVER IT'S CALLED

He reminds me of the anime character Anpanman with his big dark eyes and round cheeks and Ghost of Christmas Present atmosphere



Anpanman's great because
) his superpower is hearing/listening
)) his head is made of bread
))) he feeds his head to the hungry

Neil deGrasse Tyson nourishes the public with his brain while still being engagingly cute and therefore accessible for non-sciencies like me.

. . . Or maybe just outright bait for non-sciencies like me


Sometimes he gets no-nonsensical in a way that feels plowing, like with some veins of Christianity, like "THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH", like a barking dog.
But only ocassionally, and even then - a barking dog who's barking because he wants to show you something

Here's a bit from the Wikipedia entry on Anpanman:

His name comes from the fact that he is a man with a head made of bread (Japanese: pan, a loanword from the Portuguese word meaning "bread") that is filled with Red bean paste (Japanese: an) called an anpan. He doesn't need to eat or drink to sustain himself and has never been seen eating. It is believed the bean jam in his head gives him sustenance. His weakness is water or anything that makes his head dirty. He regains his health and strength when Jam Ojisan bakes him a new head and it is placed on his shoulders. Anpanman's damaged head, with Xs in his eyes, flies off his shoulders once a new baked head lands. He was created when a shooting star landed in Uncle Jam's oven while he was baking. He has two special attacks called: An-punch and An-kick (with stronger variations of both). When Anpanman comes across a starving creature or person, he lets the unfortunate creature or person eat part of his head. He also has super hearing in that he can respond to anyone that calls his name out in distress from anywhere in the world.

6 comments:

  1. google-imaging him, there were a lot of akimbo pics . . .
    how many pounds/day of grapes does he eat, I wonder

    ReplyDelete
  2. as much as I'd like to comment about mr. tyson (I love that guy; he taught me about manhatten-henge), I have to love any guy with a bread head filled with red bean paste even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you blogging about that! EPIC

    I think NTyson's head is full of red bean paste too - just highly evolved r.b.p., and when Carl Sagan said "the cosmos is also within us", he was talking about the paste

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always felt Anpanman was just the perfect Japanese hero. Yep, he solves problems by letting people eat him and be sustained!

    ...And now that I've put it that way, I realize he's actually a Christ figure. @_@

    I need to learn more about Tyson! I only know him from the amazing "Symphony of Science" videos, but I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Jen - "Take, eat; this is my body."
    You're right!

    I don't know much about Tyson either, to be honest. He's just such a cute teddybear to watch!
    No wonder I don't absorb anything he says.

    ReplyDelete